Aerowolf heads to Tokoname, Japan this weekend for the US$626,000 prize pool Rainbow Six: Siege Pro League Season X Grand Finals.
Who are they: Aerowolf’s Rainbow Six: Siege team is based out of Singapore. Their current roster comprises Glen “Lunarmetal” Suryasaputra, Adrian “Ysaera” Wui, Jeremy “HysteRiX” Tan, Patrick “MentalistC” Fan and Matin “SpeakEasy” Yunos, and the team’s manager is Eugene “quikz” Tay. Aerowolf itself is an Indonesian esports organisation.
The big picture: Aerowolf qualified for the grand finals when they placed first at the APAC Finals last month after defeating Australian team Wildcard Gaming 7-4, 2-7, 7-3.
- Gatekeepers no longer: A history of roster volatility and being eliminated in competitions by eventual champions earned Aerowolf a reputation of being a “gatekeeper” to the champions. No longer, after the APAC victory. It meant a lot to the team — a comeback from “failing 9 times over 2 years” was how HysteRiX put it.
- Underdogs going in: Aerowolf’s first match will be against Spanish team Giants Gaming this Saturday at 6.30pm. Team captain Lunarmetal has said that he is “terrified” of the European teams due to the higher level of competition there and lack of experience playing against them. His fear is not entirely unfounded, as Aerowolf had lost 2-7 to Giants (then playing as LeStream Esport) in the Allied Esports Vegas Minor earlier this year.
- Last chance: With HysteRiX due to enlist for National Service in January 2020 and MentalistC possibly forced to retire due to academic commitments after this tournament, this may be the only chance this roster has to achieve something on the world stage.
Follow & watch:
- Rainbow Six: Pro League tournament livestream
- Rainbow Six: Pro League tournament website (ESL)
- Aerowolf of Singapore: From Gatekeepers to Gatecrashers (SiegeGG)
- Singapore team Aerowolf headed to Rainbow Six Siege finals (video, Yahoo TV Singapore)
- Season 10 APAC Finals rundown (SiegeGG)
- A Beginner’s Guide to Rainbow Six: Siege Pro League (Reddit, r/R6ProLeague)